Skip to content

San Francisco sidewalk-sitting ban targets homeless: Critics

sanfranciscobaybridgegoldengate San Francisco sidewalk sitting ban targets homeless: CriticsSan Francisco’s lawmakers are debating a proposed law that would ban sitting or lying on sidewalks throughout the city, a move critics say targets the homeless.

The bill brought forward by Mayor Gavin Newsom to the city’s Board of Supervisors on Tuesday is believed to be the broadest of its kind in the nation, as it would ban anyone from sitting or lying on sidewalks from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. and would apply even in front of one’s own home.

The San Francisco Chronicle notes that the city’s proposed law is based on a similar law in Seattle that has been upheld by appeals courts. But Seattle’s law applies only to specially selected “commercial corridors” where drug addicts or vagrants were interfering with business.

Lawmakers in San Francisco had also mulled a similar law targeting specific areas, but Mayor Newsom’s bill tabled Tuesday goes farther than that.

The Chronicle reports that Newsom had recently moved to the city’s famed Haight-Ashbury district, which has long been a magnet for street kids, the chronically homeless and drug addicts. Newsom was reportedly spurred into action when he and his infant daughter witnessed someone “smoking crack and blocking the entrance of a business.”

But the law is not a pet project of Newsom’s: A recent poll shows fully 71 percent of San Francisco residents support the measure. Even the city’s Chamber of Commerce, which sponsored the poll, admitted that the results are surprising given the city’s long history of tolerance towards the indigent, and towards street protests.

San Francisco has been the site of countless street protest actions over the years. In 1979, for example, gay rights supporters sat in the streets in the Castro district to protest the killing of Harvey Milk, the nation’s first openly gay elected official, by a city supervisor.

Two years earlier, residents staged a sit-in at a federal office building demanding rights for the disabled. It was a moment that advocates for the disabled describe as the “Stonewall” or “Selma” for disabled rights.

While the proposed law will likely not infringe on the ability of activists to protest, opponents of the measure say it will noticeably curb freedoms in the city. The NBC affiliate in the Bay Area cites a public defender who believes the law will unfairly target “tourists sitting on the curb while ogling landmarks” and “a woman sitting on her luggage as she waits for the cab.”

But police say they plan to enforce the law judiciously, targeting only those who actually do pose a threat to public safety or commerce.

A recent court ruling has strengthened the city’s argument that such a law would be legitimate. A state superior court ruled on Wednesday that a similar no-sitting law in the San Francisco suburb of Palo Alto can stand.

Panhandler Richard Frost had challenged a series of citations he received for begging for change outside a local supermarket. The judge ruled that the law is constitutional and not discriminatory, contrary to what Frost had argued, the Palo Alto Daily News reports.

But writing at BeyondChron, Tommi Avicolli-Mecca notes that a similar law in Portland was struck down by the courts, and that a similar law in L.A. was ruled “cruel and unusual punishment” if the city didn’t provide enough beds in homeless shelters.

Under the proposed San Francisco law, a first offense would carry a $50 to $100 fine, with the penalty increasing for subsequent violations up to a maximum of 10 days in jail, the San Francisco Examiner reports. The law exempts public parks, plazas and benches.

Writing at Fog City Journal, Greg Kamin argues the proposed law is a back-door that allows police to arrest people without evidence of any crime committed.

Simply put, this law allows cops wide discretion to arrest people for doing basically nothing at all, completely at will. Ominous for its crystal clarity, one particularly Orwellian slide entitled “Customized for Our City” showed a crowd of happy people on the Golden Gate Bridge, with a series of captions about the law including, “Enables Preventative Intervention, Before Accident or Crime Occurs.” To emphasize the point, [assistant police chief Kevin] Cashman said that unlike other laws which focus on criminal acts, this would “prevent a criminal act from occurring in the first place.”

Basically “pre-crime,” like in the movie, Minority Report.

View the original article

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Posted in Legal Matters, Police & Crime, Police State.

Tagged with , .

6 Responses

1. woodcut says

Sitting on the sidewalk shouldn’t be illegal, but on Haight St., we’re constantly harassed for money. If you walk by, some call us “fags” or other names. It’s not enjoyable. / San Francisco resident for 30 years here.
    I’m all for freedom, but I also want to walk down a street without beggars, winos, and freaks making my day difficult.
    ps. I was at Woodstock 1969 & I’ve been a sidewalk hippie. A respectful hippie.

2. David Martin says

I agree with Mr. Haze. Respect and common courtesy among the
    homeless is all we ask! If they cannot abide by simple human
    mores throw them in a shelter or jail!

3. Dark Politricks says

Whilst I agree with you about the abuse I know from experience that most people who are homeless don’t do it through choice.

I don’t know how many homeless shelters they have in San Fran but maybe some of the trillion or so the US is spending on wars in Iraq and the Stan could go towards funding some more.

4. woodcut says

Sorry, but the old “stop funding war” idea is tired & says nothing to address the problem we’re writing about. Of course war is wasteful, but it’s illogical to think wars will stop & they’ll build a shelter for homeless people.
    Each city must address MENTAL ILLNESS in those on the streets. And the punks who want to use intimidation to get money – I agree – lock them up.
    In San Francisco, there are many places to get FREE food. Housing is harder to get, as shelters are often prone to violence and theft. We have a large number of people who choose to live on the streets, who don’t want assisted living or help. We have some hippies living in Golden Gate Park who never left the 1960’s, but they’re harmless, polite, and clean.

• darkpolitricks says

the problem is that any government the US or UK doesn’t want to spend the money to solve the root problems that cause issues like homelessness, crime, high drug use and so on as they are hard problems to solve and take time, money and effort. They would rather try and stick plasters over issues like these with quick headline grabbing ideas that don’t actually solve the problem but just move it to another area where its less visible. Most of the people in our prisons are drug users, ex veterans or people with mental illness. Instead of trying to help these people get back on track with their lives with education, rehab, help with housing and support they lock them up and the release them again some months later, the problem is still there they have just taken it out of view for a while which is a short term mindset. If our government cared they would want to think long term as investment now means benefits for the future but our governments are corrupt and don’t give a fuck about us. However they do care about money, big business and the arms industry and whereas we may never stop wars we can stop wars of aggression that have only exacerbated existing problems and ensured that we will be fighting “terror” for a long time. If our government actually cared about its citizens they would choose to spend money on issues like this over wars for pipelines any day of the week. the fact is they don’t.

5. woodcut says

I think we’re on the same team, & agree on most things.
    Gov’t has many “throw-away” ppl – those with mental illness, those who are poor (Katrina proved that), gays (Reagan killed thousands of us by ignoring AIDS), and countless others.
    What’s missing is the outrage from people. We’ve become complacent & we accept the b.s. the Gov’t feeds us = “not enough money to help”.
    Example – SF’s MUNI (bus, subway) is now going thru massive cutbacks. On the bus, ppl are complaining & annoyed. How many of them will write to our Mayor, to MUNI? Very few. A lot of ppl complain but never take action to change things.
    Homeless people suffer so much, but we walk past them. I do. With a beggar on almost every corner, eventually we put up walls and ignore them. Sad, but true.
    ps I like your site, I follow you on Twitter, and wish you the best.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Support #altnews & keep Dark Politricks alive

Remember I told you over 5 years ago that they would be trying to shut down sites and YouTube channels that are not promoting the "Official" view. Well it's all happening now big time. Peoples Channels get no money from YouTube any more and Google is being fishy with their AdSense giving money for some clicks but not others. The time is here, it's not "Obama's Internet Cut Off Switch" it's "Trumps Sell Everyones Internet Dirty Laundry Garage Sale". This site must be on some list at GCHQ/NSA as my AdSense revenue which I rely on has gone down by a third. Either people are not helping out by visiting sponsors sanymore or I am being blackballed like many YouTube sites.

It's not just Google/YouTube defunding altenative chanels (mine was shut), but Facebook is also removing content, shutting pages, profiles and groups and removing funds from #altnews that way as well. I was recently kicked off FB and had a page "unpublished" with no reason given. If you don't know already all Facebooks Private Messages and Secret Groups are still analysed and checked for words related to drugs, sex, war etc against their own TOS. Personally I know there are undercover Irish police moving from group to group cloning peoples accounts and getting people booted. Worse than that I know some people in prison now for the content they had on their "secret private group". Use Telegrams secret chat mode to chat on, or if you prefer Wickr. If you really need to, buy a dumb phone with nothing for the NSA/GCHQ to hack into. Ensure it has no GPS tracking on it and that the battery can be removed. These are usually built for old people to get used to technology storing only a set of numbers to call. However they have no games, applications to install or other ways people can exploit the computer tracking device you carry round with you most of the day - your smart phone. If you are paranoid ensure that you can remove the battery when travelling around and do so to prevent GPS tracking or phone mast triangulation. Even with your phone in Flight mode or turned off, it can be turned on remotely and any features like front or back cameras, microphones and keylogging software can be installed to trace you.

So if your not supporting this site already which brings you news from the Left to the Right (really the same war mongering rubbish) then I could REALLY do with some..

Even if it's just £5 or tick the monthly subscription box and throw a few pound my way each month, it will be much appreciated. Read on to find out why.

Why?

Any support to keep this site would be appreciated. You could set up a monthly subscription for £2 like some people do or you could pay a one off donation as a gift.
I am not asking you to pay me for other people's articles, this is a clearing house as well as place to put my own views out into the world. I am asking for help to write more articles like my recent false flag gas attack to get WWIII started in Syria, and Trump away from Putin. Hopefully a few missiles won't mean a WikiLeaks release of that infamous video Trump apparently made in a Russian bedroom with Prostitutes. Also please note that this article was written just an hour after the papers came out, and I always come back and update them.

If you want to read JUST my own articles then use the top menu I have written hundreds of articles for this site and I host numerous amounts of material that has seen me the victim of hacks, DOS plus I have been kicked off multiple hosting companies, free blogging sites, and I have even had threats to cease and desist from the US armed forces. Therefore I have to pay for my own server which is NOT cheap. The more people who read these article on this site the more it costs me so some support would be much appreciated.

I have backups of removed reports shown, then taken down after pressure, that show collusion between nations and the media. I have the full redacted 28/29 pages from the 9.11 commission on the site which seems to have been forgotten about as we help Saudi Arabia bomb Yemeni kids hiding in the rubble with white phosphorus, an illegal weaapon. One that the Israeli's even used when they bombed the UN compound in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead. We complain about Syrian troops (US Controlled ISIS) using chemical weapons to kill "beautiful babies". I suppose all those babies we kill in Iraq, Yemen, Somalia and Syria are just not beautiful enough for Trumps beautiful baby ratio. Plus we kill about 100 times as many as ISIS or the Syrian army have managed by a factor of about 1000 to 1.

I also have a backup of the FOX News series that looked into Israeli connections to 9.11. Obviously FOX removed that as soon as AIPAC, ADL and the rest of the Hasbra brigade protested.

I also have a copy of the the original Liberal Democrats Freedom Bill which was quickly and quietly removed from their site once they enacted and replaced with some watered down rubbish instead once they got into power. No change to police tactics, protesting or our unfair extradition treaty with the USA but we did get a stop to being clamped on private land instead of the mny great ideas in the original.

So ANY support to keep this site running would be much appreciated! I don't have much money after leaving my job and it is a choice between shutting the server or selling the domain or paying a lot of money just so I can show this material.

Material like the FSB Bombings that put Putin in power or the Google no 1 spot when you search for protecting yourself from UK Police with "how to give a no comment interview". If you see any adverts that interest you then please visit them as it helps me without you even needing to give me any money. A few clicks per visit is all it takes to help keep the servers running and tag any tweets with alternative news from the mainstream with the #altnews hashtag I created to keep it alive!

However if you don't want to use the very obvious and cost free ways (to you) to help the site and keep me writing for it then please consider making a small donation. Especially if you have a few quid sitting in your PayPal account doing nothing useful. Why not do a monthly subscription for less money instead. Will you really notice £5 a month?

css.php