Skip to content


Gates apologizes to Karzai for children’s deaths

by Dan De Luce Dan De Luce – 1 hr 16 mins ago

KABUL (AFP) – US Defense Secretary Robert Gates offered a personal apology to President Hamid Karzai Monday for the deaths of nine Afghan children in a NATO air strike which drew fury in Kabul.

“This breaks our heart,” Gates told a news conference at the presidential palace in Kabul, as Karzai looked on.

“Not only is their loss a tragedy for their families, it is a setback for our relationship with the Afghan people, whose security is our chief concern.”

The comments on the first day of a two-day trip to Afghanistan came after Karzai angrily rejected a public apology from General David Petraeus, the US commander of international troops in Afghanistan, over the incident.

US President Barack Obama has also voiced “deep regret.”
[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

Nine young boys died in the NATO air strike targeting insurgents last week, as the children collected firewood in the eastern province of Kunar.

In response to Gates, Karzai said he respected the apology but was in a difficult position over civilian casualties and called for them to be halted altogether.

Civilian deaths from coalition military operations against Taliban insurgents have long been a source of friction between Kabul and its Western allies.

But Karzai‘s rejection of Petraeus’s apology as “not enough” came at a particularly sensitive time for the military effort in Afghanistan, where 97,000 of the roughly 140,000 foreign troops are from the United States.

Afghan army and police are due to take control of security across the country in 2014, allowing foreign forces to leave combat roles, with the transition process starting from July this year.

Highlighting Afghan anger over the issue, hundreds of people took to the streets of Kabul on Sunday to protest against the deaths, shouting slogans including “Death to America — death to the invaders”.

Gates said NATO-led forces had been working “extremely hard” to avoid civilian casualties and had made progress in the past two years.

But he added that he understood how “these tragedies weigh heavily” on Karzai and “create problems for him as the leader and the protector of the Afghan people.”

After issuing his apology, the Pentagon chief expressed optimism that US and allied troops will be ready to start a limited withdrawal from Afghanistan in July, as promised by Obama.

He suggested only a small number of troops may be pulled out while others may be shifted to other areas as Afghan forces expand.

“While no decisions on numbers have been made, in my view we will be well-positioned to begin drawing down some US and coalition forces this July, even as we redeploy others to different areas of the country,” he said.

Karzai is expected to give details on March 21 of where the transition process will start.

In comments before American troops earlier at Bagram airfield, Gates stressed the United States was ready to offer military assistance even after the planned handover of security to Afghan forces.

“We are fully prepared to have a continuing presence here assisting the Afghans after 2014,” he said. “Obviously it would be a small fraction of the presence that we have today.”

The Taliban and other militants have been waging a bloody insurgency against international and Afghan government forces since being ousted by a US-led invasion in 2001.

Press secretary Geoff Morrell told reporters travelling with Gates that while this was “not a decision-making trip” on future troop levels, it would “certainly inform him (Gates) on making those decisions in coming months.”

The defense secretary, who plans to step down this year, attended a dinner with Petraeus and Karzai after the news conference, officials said.

Gates is due to travel to Germany and Brussels on Wednesday ahead of a meeting of NATO defence ministers from Thursday, where the war in Afghanistan and the current crisis in Libya are expected to top the agenda.

[Image via Agence France-Presse]

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Posted in Politics, War on terror.

Tagged with , , , , , , .

Support #altnews & keep Dark Politricks alive

Remember I told you over 5 years ago that they would be trying to shut down sites and YouTube channels that are not promoting the "Official" view. Well it's happening big time. Peoples Channels get no money from YouTube any more and Google is being fishy with their AdSense giving money for some clicks but not others. The time is here, it's not "Obama's Internet Cut Off Switch" it's "Trumps Sell Everyones Internet Dirty Laundry Garage Sale".

It's not just Google/YouTube defunding altenative chanels (mine was shut), but Facebook is also removing content, shutting pages, profiles and groups and removing funds from #altnews that way as well. I was recently kicked off FB and had a page "unpublished" with no reason given. If you don't know already all Facebooks Private Messages and Secret Groups are still analysed and checked for words related to drugs, sex, war etc against their own TOS. Personally IU know there are undercover Irish police moving from group to group cloning peoples accounts and getting people booted. Worse than that I know people in court at the moment for the content they had on their secret private group. Use Telegrams secret chat mode to chat on, or if you prefer if you need to or buy a dumb phone with nothing for the NSA to hack into if you are that paranoid.

So if your not supporting this site already which brings you news from the Left to the Right (really the same war mongering bollox) then I could do with some. Even if it's just £5 or tick the monthly subscription box it will be much appreciated. Read on to find out why/

Why?

Any support to keep this site would be appreciated. You could set up a monthly subscription for £2 like some people do or you could pay a one off donation as a gift.
I am not asking you to pay me for other people's articles, this is a clearing house as well as place to put my own views out into the world. I am asking for help to write more articles like my recent
false flag gas attack to get WWIII started in Syria, and Trump away from Putin. Hopefully a few missiles won't mean a WikiLeaks release of that infamous video Trump apparently made in a Russian bedroom with Prostitutes. Also please note that this article was written just an hour after the papers came out, and I always come back and update them.

If you want to read JUST my own articles then use the top menu I have written hundreds of articles for this site and I host numerous amounts of material that has seen me the victim of hacks, DOS plus I have been kicked off multiple hosting companies, free blogging sites, and I have even had threats to cease and desist from the US armed forces. Therefore I have to pay for my own server which is NOT cheap. The more people who read these article on this site the more it costs me so some support would be much appreciated.

I have backups of removed reports shown, then taken down after pressure, that show collusion between nations and the media. I have the full redacted 28/29 pages from the 9.11 commission on the site which seems to have been forgotten about as we help Saudi Arabia bomb Yemeni kids hiding in the rubble with white phosphorus, an illegal weaapon. One that the Israeli's even used when they bombed the UN compound in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead. We complain about Syrian troops (US Controlled ISIS) using chemical weapons to kill "beautiful babies". I suppose all those babies we kill in Iraq, Yemen, Somalia and Syria are just not beautiful enough for Trumps beautiful baby ratio. Plus we kill about 100 times as many as ISIS or the Syrian army have managed by a factor of about 1000 to 1.

I also have a backup of the FOX News series that looked into Israeli connections to 9.11. Obviously FOX removed that as soon as AIPAC, ADL and the rest of the Hasbra brigade protested.

I also have a copy of the the original Liberal Democrats Freedom Bill which was quickly and quietly removed from their site once they enacted and replaced with some watered down rubbish instead once they got into power. No change to police tactics, protesting or our unfair extradition treaty with the USA but we did get a stop to being clamped on private land instead of the mny great ideas in the original.

So ANY support to keep this site running would be much appreciated! I don't have much money after leaving my job and it is a choice between shutting the server or selling the domain or paying a lot of money just so I can show this material. Material like the FSB Bombings that put Putin in power or the Google no 1 spot when you search for protecting yourself from UK Police with "how to give a no comment interview". If you see any adverts that interest you then please visit them as it helps me without you even needing to give me any money. A few clicks per visit is all it takes to help keep the servers running and #altnews alive!

However if you don't want to use the very obvious and cost free ways (to you) to help the site and keep me writing for it then please consider making a small donation. Especially if you have a few quid sitting in your PayPal account doing nothing useful. Why not do a monthly subscription for less money instead. Will you really notice £5 a month?


0 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.



Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.



css.php