Skip to content


Libyan Rebels release captured SAS soldiers on their way to meet rebel leaders

BBC News
bbc.co.uk

Anti-Gaddafi graffiti
This graffiti in Benghazi shows the confidence of the
anti-Gaddafi rebels

Labour has accused the government of “serial bungling” over Libya, following a botched SAS mission to make contact with opponents of the country’s leader.

Six SAS soldiers and two Foreign Office officials were detained for two days by rebels in eastern Libya but were freed on Sunday and left the country.

Foreign Secretary William Hague said the men were withdrawn after a “serious misunderstanding” over their role.

Labour’s Douglas Alexander said ministers were losing their grip.

Mr Alexander, shadow foreign secretary, told the Commons: “I believe I speak for many when I say that the news on Sunday that British diplomatic and military personnel were being held was seen as just the latest setback for the UK and raises further serious questions about ministers’ grip and response to the unfolding events in Libya.”

The mission was aimed at making contact with those leading opposition to the rule of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Most of the group were dropped by helicopter into eastern Libya on Friday but were later seized and taken to a military base in handcuffs by opposition fighters.

Witnesses said they were found to be carrying weapons, ammunition, maps and passports from four different countries, after the group had denied they were armed.

Following their release, they left for Malta on board HMS Cumberland on Sunday night.

Mr Hague told MPs on Monday: “Last week I authorised the despatch of a small British diplomatic team to eastern Libya, in uncertain circumstances which we judged required their protection, to build on these initial contacts and to assess the scope for closer diplomatic dialogue. I pay tribute to that team.”

He added that the situation which led to their detention was “resolved” and they were able to meet opposition council president Mustafa Abdel Jalil, but “it was clearly better for this team to be withdrawn”.

Mr Hague said the timing and details of the mission had been decided by professionals, but he took full ministerial responsibility for the operation and confirmed Prime Minister David Cameron had been aware in advance.

The prime minister’s spokesman said it was still the government’s intention to send diplomats to eastern Libya to make contact with opposition groups.

After fighting first broke out in Libya, the government was criticised for being slow to charter flights to bring home stranded Britons and creating confusion over the possibility of a no-fly zone.

Mr Alexander said: “After the events of this weekend and following the flights fiasco, twice in as many weeks ministerial decisions have generated an embarrassment that could all too easily have become a tragedy.”

He went on to ask whether ministers were learning lessons from the “serial bungling” seen in recent weeks.

Former Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell called the operation into eastern Libya “ill conceived, poorly planned and embarrassingly executed”.

And Labour’s Denis MacShane asked the foreign secretary whether he was considering his position after “the present fiasco”.

The British ambassador to Libya, Richard Northern, was called in to explain to opposition forces what the group was doing in eastern Libya.

He spoke to a spokesman for former justice minister, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, who is now a rebel leader, to explain the men’s mission.

A telephone call between Mr Northern and Mr Jalil’s spokesman was intercepted by the Gaddafi regime and excerpts were played on Libyan state television on Sunday.

In it, Mr Northern could be heard apologising for the “misunderstanding” and pleading for the men’s release.

Oliver Miles, a former British ambassador to Libya, said he found the entire incident “bizarre”.

He added: “The phone lines to the country still work so there’s still quite a lot of information there if you’re prepared to dredge for it.

“I’m glad that this particular episode seems to have ended in farce rather than tragedy.”

He pointed out that Britain was not the only country to have experienced military embarrassment in Libya. The Dutch government is currently negotiating to free three of its marines who were captured along with their helicopter by pro-Gaddafi forces.

The troops had apparently been tasked with evacuating Dutch nationals from the port of Sirte.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said of the British mission: “The problem was they had communications kit with them which they didn’t want compromised. But now the situation is worse – they’ve presumably lost the kit and their helicopter.

“We’ve been told there’ll be other efforts, but the next time they’ll have to use the front door.”

Forces loyal to Col Gaddafi have fought bitter clashes with rebels, with civilians bearing the brunt of the violence, according to the UN.

More than 600 British nationals have been evacuated from Libya, Mr Hague said. About 180 Britons remain there but many have said they intend to stay.

BBC correspondents in Libya say opposition forces are facing increasingly serious resistance from government forces as they move westwards from their stronghold in Benghazi.

Libyan air force pilots have also been involved in the fighting, strafing and bombing rebel targets.

View the original article at bbc.co.uk/news

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Posted in Middle East, Revolutions & Coups.

Tagged with , , , .


0 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.



Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Support #altnews & keep Dark Politricks alive

Remember I told you over 5 years ago that they would be trying to shut down sites and YouTube channels that are not promoting the "Official" view. Well it's all happening now big time. Peoples Channels get no money from YouTube any more and Google is being fishy with their AdSense giving money for some clicks but not others. The time is here, it's not "Obama's Internet Cut Off Switch" it's "Trumps Sell Everyones Internet Dirty Laundry Garage Sale". This site must be on some list at GCHQ/NSA as my AdSense revenue which I rely on has gone down by a third. Either people are not helping out by visiting sponsors sanymore or I am being blackballed like many YouTube sites.

It's not just Google/YouTube defunding altenative chanels (mine was shut), but Facebook is also removing content, shutting pages, profiles and groups and removing funds from #altnews that way as well. I was recently kicked off FB and had a page "unpublished" with no reason given. If you don't know already all Facebooks Private Messages and Secret Groups are still analysed and checked for words related to drugs, sex, war etc against their own TOS. Personally I know there are undercover Irish police moving from group to group cloning peoples accounts and getting people booted. Worse than that I know some people in prison now for the content they had on their "secret private group". Use Telegrams secret chat mode to chat on, or if you prefer Wickr. If you really need to, buy a dumb phone with nothing for the NSA/GCHQ to hack into. Ensure it has no GPS tracking on it and that the battery can be removed. These are usually built for old people to get used to technology storing only a set of numbers to call. However they have no games, applications to install or other ways people can exploit the computer tracking device you carry round with you most of the day - your smart phone. If you are paranoid ensure that you can remove the battery when travelling around and do so to prevent GPS tracking or phone mast triangulation. Even with your phone in Flight mode or turned off, it can be turned on remotely and any features like front or back cameras, microphones and keylogging software can be installed to trace you.

So if your not supporting this site already which brings you news from the Left to the Right (really the same war mongering rubbish) then I could REALLY do with some..

Even if it's just £5 or tick the monthly subscription box and throw a few pound my way each month, it will be much appreciated. Read on to find out why.

Why?

Any support to keep this site would be appreciated. You could set up a monthly subscription for £2 like some people do or you could pay a one off donation as a gift.
I am not asking you to pay me for other people's articles, this is a clearing house as well as place to put my own views out into the world. I am asking for help to write more articles like my recent false flag gas attack to get WWIII started in Syria, and Trump away from Putin. Hopefully a few missiles won't mean a WikiLeaks release of that infamous video Trump apparently made in a Russian bedroom with Prostitutes. Also please note that this article was written just an hour after the papers came out, and I always come back and update them.

If you want to read JUST my own articles then use the top menu I have written hundreds of articles for this site and I host numerous amounts of material that has seen me the victim of hacks, DOS plus I have been kicked off multiple hosting companies, free blogging sites, and I have even had threats to cease and desist from the US armed forces. Therefore I have to pay for my own server which is NOT cheap. The more people who read these article on this site the more it costs me so some support would be much appreciated.

I have backups of removed reports shown, then taken down after pressure, that show collusion between nations and the media. I have the full redacted 28/29 pages from the 9.11 commission on the site which seems to have been forgotten about as we help Saudi Arabia bomb Yemeni kids hiding in the rubble with white phosphorus, an illegal weaapon. One that the Israeli's even used when they bombed the UN compound in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead. We complain about Syrian troops (US Controlled ISIS) using chemical weapons to kill "beautiful babies". I suppose all those babies we kill in Iraq, Yemen, Somalia and Syria are just not beautiful enough for Trumps beautiful baby ratio. Plus we kill about 100 times as many as ISIS or the Syrian army have managed by a factor of about 1000 to 1.

I also have a backup of the FOX News series that looked into Israeli connections to 9.11. Obviously FOX removed that as soon as AIPAC, ADL and the rest of the Hasbra brigade protested.

I also have a copy of the the original Liberal Democrats Freedom Bill which was quickly and quietly removed from their site once they enacted and replaced with some watered down rubbish instead once they got into power. No change to police tactics, protesting or our unfair extradition treaty with the USA but we did get a stop to being clamped on private land instead of the mny great ideas in the original.

So ANY support to keep this site running would be much appreciated! I don't have much money after leaving my job and it is a choice between shutting the server or selling the domain or paying a lot of money just so I can show this material.

Material like the FSB Bombings that put Putin in power or the Google no 1 spot when you search for protecting yourself from UK Police with "how to give a no comment interview". If you see any adverts that interest you then please visit them as it helps me without you even needing to give me any money. A few clicks per visit is all it takes to help keep the servers running and tag any tweets with alternative news from the mainstream with the #altnews hashtag I created to keep it alive!

However if you don't want to use the very obvious and cost free ways (to you) to help the site and keep me writing for it then please consider making a small donation. Especially if you have a few quid sitting in your PayPal account doing nothing useful. Why not do a monthly subscription for less money instead. Will you really notice £5 a month?



css.php