Deadly shootings and bomb blasts have shaken Norwegians to the core.

 

by Tim King

Salem-News

(UTOYA ISLAND AND OSLO) – It has been the deadliest day in Norway since WWII, with as many as 17 dead from an explosion in downtown Oslo, police said.

Massive bomb blast in the Norwegian capital Oslo

In a separate event 36 miles away, as many as 30 people are feared dead in a youth camp shooting where the suspect was reportedly dressed as a police officer.

Police have confirmed that the shooter at the youth camp where 700 people were located, was not an actual officer, but an impostor. There are many injuries.

“The assailant has never been part of the police force, and has no relation to us”, a police spokesman said.

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect so far, is the report from Andre Scheie, who told Norwegian broadcaster NRK that he saw “very many dead by the shore” of the camp on Utoya island. This was the scene of a summer camp for the youth wing of the Labor Party. Victims were shot in the water after trying desperately to swim away. “There are about 20 to 25 dead,” he said.

The man who opened fire at the youth camp carried a Glock pistol and a rifle, there was no automatic weapon which was earlier reported. It is said that the shooter talked a ferry operator into transporting him to the location.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen called the blast Friday a heinous act.

Buildings associated with the Norwegian government were ripped open in the series of blasts, however the Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg, whose headquarters were targeted, was not in the building at the time of the explosion, and was safe.

U.S. President Barack Obama extended his “personal condolences” to the people of Norway following the blast and shootings in Oslo, and said he had no information yet on the motives.

Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store visited the Labour Youth League Camp on Thursday said: – The occupation must end, the wall must be demolished and it must happen now

Contrary to western media reports attempting to tie the event to Middle East terrorism, Oslo’s police chief did not once mention Islamist terrorism, al Qaeda or suggest that police had any other leads than the man dressed as a police officer.

There is speculation that the same man could be behind the attacks. Reports of the suspect being a “Muslim” are unconfirmed and expected from standard western media channels.

Updated:

Norway shooting suspect’s profile

A 32-year-old Norwegian suspect has been arrested after at least 91 people were killed in two attacks in Norway.