Skip to content


Analysts: Antitrust suit a huge blow for AT&T

Cambodia‘s UN-backed war crimes court said Wednesday it had started contempt of court proceedings against Voice of America Khmer for revealing confidential information about a new Khmer Rouge case.

The move comes after the US-funded news service posted an article and video on its website describing prosecution allegations of mass killings and other atrocities by three mid-level cadres during the regime’s 1975-79 rule.

The service cited a document obtained by a source close to the court.

VOA Khmer “on 10 August 2011 quoted verbatim from a confidential document… and even showed that document on a video,” said the two judges who are still investigating the claims in the court’s fourth and final case.

The news service chief Chris Decherd refused to comment directly on the court action, but said: “VOA Khmer supports the work of the tribunal and helps inform the Cambodian public by reporting about the court’s work.”

He added that VOA’s role was to serve Cambodian citizens “who deserve and are well-served by objective and quality news reporting about issues and topics that impact and affect their daily lives”.

This marks the first time judges have followed through on warnings to launch contempt proceedings, following numerous leaks to the media.

Their terse statement however failed to clarify if action was being taken against the journalist, the editor or the producer of the piece, all of whom are understood to be in Washington, DC.

“They have no power to enforce contempt sanctions against a journalist who is not in Cambodia,” said Anne Heindel, a legal advisor to the Documentation Centre of Cambodia, which researches Khmer Rouge atrocities.

She added that the tribunal’s rules against interfering with the administration of justice were “troublingly vague” and it was not clear what sanctions could be imposed.

In its landmark first trial, the tribunal last year sentenced former prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, better known as Duch, to 30 years in jail for overseeing the deaths of 15,000 people. That case is now under appeal.

A second trial involving four of the regime’s most senior surviving leaders has stalled as the court mulls whether all the elderly defendants are fit to stand trial.

A third case, thought to involve two ex-Khmer Rouge commanders, is still under consideration but like the fourth one, it is widely expected to be dismissed in the face of political opposition.

The hardline communist Khmer Rouge movement oversaw one of the worst horrors of the 20th century, wiping out up to two million people through starvation, overwork and execution in a bid to forge an agrarian utopia.

A major Khmer Rouge trial at Cambodia‘s UN-backed war crimes court may not hear testimony until next year, observers said Wednesday, amid fears over the mental health of one of the defendants.

The trial against four top leaders of the brutal 1975-79 regime, which began in June, has stalled after a recent decision by judges to order a psychiatric assessment on Ieng Thirith, 79.

Anne Heindel, a legal advisor to the Documentation Centre of Cambodia, which researches Khmer Rouge atrocities, believes the process to determine mental fitness “is likely to take until the end of the year”.

That view was echoed by a court official, who told AFP it is “unlikely the trial will get going this year” but asked not to be named.

The elderly defendants face charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity over the deaths of up to two million people, in the court’s second and long-awaited trial.

Questions have long been raised over the mental state of the regime’s “First Lady” Ieng Thirith, who famously lost her cool during a 2009 court appearance, telling her accusers they would be “cursed to the seventh circle of hell”.

Ieng Thirith‘s lawyers have recently said they are unable to take instructions from her, citing mental problems.

Tribunal spokesman Lars Olsen refused to speculate on a start date but said the court would “shortly” appoint mental health experts to examine the ex-social affairs minister, who is married to co-defendant Ieng Sary.

Both Ieng Thirith and fellow accused “Brother Number Two” Nuon Chea also plan to contest their physical fitness to stand trial at a hearing next week.

The prospect of more delays will upset some victims, who fear not all of the suspects, aged 79 to 85, will live to see a verdict.

“The accused and I are all very old now,” said Bou Meng, 70, who was one of few people to survive a notorious Khmer Rouge torture prison.

“I urge the court to work on this case as soon as possible, so that justice will not die with the corpses.”

In its historic first trial, the tribunal sentenced former prison chief Kaing Guek Eav — also known as Duch — to 30 years in jail last year for overseeing the deaths of 15,000 people. The case is now under appeal.

Led by “Brother Number One” Pol Pot, who died in 1998, the Khmer Rouge wiped out nearly a quarter of the population through starvation, overwork or executions in a bid to create an agrarian utopia.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Posted in General News.

Tagged with .

Support #altnews & keep Dark Politricks alive

Remember I told you over 5 years ago that they would be trying to shut down sites and YouTube channels that are not promoting the "Official" view. Well it's happening big time. Peoples Channels get no money from YouTube any more and Google is being fishy with their AdSense giving money for some clicks but not others. The time is here, it's not "Obama's Internet Cut Off Switch" it's "Trumps Sell Everyones Internet Dirty Laundry Garage Sale".

It's not just Google/YouTube defunding altenative chanels (mine was shut), but Facebook is also removing content, shutting pages, profiles and groups and removing funds from #altnews that way as well. I was recently kicked off FB and had a page "unpublished" with no reason given. If you don't know already all Facebooks Private Messages and Secret Groups are still analysed and checked for words related to drugs, sex, war etc against their own TOS. Personally IU know there are undercover Irish police moving from group to group cloning peoples accounts and getting people booted. Worse than that I know people in court at the moment for the content they had on their secret private group. Use Telegrams secret chat mode to chat on, or if you prefer Wickr. Or if you need to, buy a dumb phone with nothing for the NSA to hack into if you are that paranoid. Ensure it has no GPS tracking on it and the battery can be removed. These are usually built for old people to get used to technology storing only a set of numbers to call. However they have no games, applications to install and other ways people can exploit the computer tracking device you carry round with you most of the day.

So if your not supporting this site already which brings you news from the Left to the Right (really the same war mongering bollox) then I could REALLY do with some..

Even if it's just £5 or tick the monthly subscription box and throw a few pound my way each month, it will be much appreciated. Read on to find out why.

Why?

Any support to keep this site would be appreciated. You could set up a monthly subscription for £2 like some people do or you could pay a one off donation as a gift.
I am not asking you to pay me for other people's articles, this is a clearing house as well as place to put my own views out into the world. I am asking for help to write more articles like my recent false flag gas attack to get WWIII started in Syria, and Trump away from Putin. Hopefully a few missiles won't mean a WikiLeaks release of that infamous video Trump apparently made in a Russian bedroom with Prostitutes. Also please note that this article was written just an hour after the papers came out, and I always come back and update them.

If you want to read JUST my own articles then use the top menu I have written hundreds of articles for this site and I host numerous amounts of material that has seen me the victim of hacks, DOS plus I have been kicked off multiple hosting companies, free blogging sites, and I have even had threats to cease and desist from the US armed forces. Therefore I have to pay for my own server which is NOT cheap. The more people who read these article on this site the more it costs me so some support would be much appreciated.

I have backups of removed reports shown, then taken down after pressure, that show collusion between nations and the media. I have the full redacted 28/29 pages from the 9.11 commission on the site which seems to have been forgotten about as we help Saudi Arabia bomb Yemeni kids hiding in the rubble with white phosphorus, an illegal weaapon. One that the Israeli's even used when they bombed the UN compound in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead. We complain about Syrian troops (US Controlled ISIS) using chemical weapons to kill "beautiful babies". I suppose all those babies we kill in Iraq, Yemen, Somalia and Syria are just not beautiful enough for Trumps beautiful baby ratio. Plus we kill about 100 times as many as ISIS or the Syrian army have managed by a factor of about 1000 to 1.

I also have a backup of the FOX News series that looked into Israeli connections to 9.11. Obviously FOX removed that as soon as AIPAC, ADL and the rest of the Hasbra brigade protested.

I also have a copy of the the original Liberal Democrats Freedom Bill which was quickly and quietly removed from their site once they enacted and replaced with some watered down rubbish instead once they got into power. No change to police tactics, protesting or our unfair extradition treaty with the USA but we did get a stop to being clamped on private land instead of the mny great ideas in the original.

So ANY support to keep this site running would be much appreciated! I don't have much money after leaving my job and it is a choice between shutting the server or selling the domain or paying a lot of money just so I can show this material.

Material like the FSB Bombings that put Putin in power or the Google no 1 spot when you search for protecting yourself from UK Police with "how to give a no comment interview". If you see any adverts that interest you then please visit them as it helps me without you even needing to give me any money. A few clicks per visit is all it takes to help keep the servers running and tag any tweets with alternative news from the mainstream with the #altnews hashtag I created to keep it alive!

However if you don't want to use the very obvious and cost free ways (to you) to help the site and keep me writing for it then please consider making a small donation. Especially if you have a few quid sitting in your PayPal account doing nothing useful. Why not do a monthly subscription for less money instead. Will you really notice £5 a month?


0 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.



Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.



css.php