by Zabi Rashidi


Hundreds of rockets have been fired into Afghanistan from Pakistan in recent days, killing one child and forcing many hundreds of people to flee their homes, Afghan officials said on Sunday.

Interior ministry spokesman Sidiq Sidiqi did not say who is responsible for the cross-border shelling, but said: “We call on Pakistan , whoever is behind the attacks, to prevent them immediately. We are waiting for the Afghan National Security Council’s decision” before reacting.

The shelling has continued for several days and many homes have been destroyed, according to Mr Sidiqi.

Kunar’s provincial governor, Fazlullah Wahidi, said that this is the second time the Pakistani army has shelled border areas of the province.

“The shelling has been in progress for two days and hundreds of rockets have been fired on our homes and innocent people,” Mr Wahidi said. “As a result, one civilian has been killed and another was injured, and several homes and mosques have been destroyed.”

Pakistan ‘s army has previously been accused of firing rockets on the border areas of Kunar and Nangarhar provinces. But Pakistani government and army officials have always denied such attacks on Afghan soil.

The rocket attacks come at a time of heightened tension between Pakistan and the west, which blames militants operating out of Pakistan for violence in Afghanistan . The US last week called on the Pakistani government to cut its ties with the Haqqani network and other terrorists