New film, "The Campaign" and how it relates to real US politicsBy Dark Politricks
I watched the new Will Ferrel film, "The Campaign" the other day at the cinema.
I would class it as a comedy that wasn't far off from pure satire and if you took the jokes out you would be left with 90% political reality when it comes to US politics.
Here are just a few examples from the film that can easily be related to actual political events or people in US elections.
1. You have a real dumb stupid candidate running for office that know even less about life and reality than Christine O'Donnel - hard I know but a long debate could be had about it for sure.
2. Politicians that mention the word "Jesus" along with "Support the troops" at any opportunity just because the "crowd loves it" and it makes them look patriotic.
3. Politicians who are in that large majority of people "following" the Christian faith but don't chose to walk in Jesus's footsteps. Basically people who believe they can do what they want as long as when they are caught out they repent their sins and ask for forgiveness from the lord and savior People who drink, take drugs, have sex with prostitutes or affairs and then are forgiven by a public with a very short memory. I can think of more than a few politicians that meet this criteria on both sides of the aisle.
4. The "evil" billionaire brothers (mmm wonder who they could be satirising who believe they can just "buy" a district by supporting a candidate with huge amounts of money through Super PACS and donations. A candidate who is "in their pocket" and will do whatever they want including vote how they are told if elected. I wonder how many US politicians are enslaved by their election funders wishes?
5. The brothers belief that American wages are too high whilst Chinese workers, slaving away for only 50¢'s an hour (it might have even been a day) are just about right. They want to abolish all health and safety regulations, any form of workers rights or unions, age limits and basically turn a whole US district into a Chinese sweatshop colony inside the USA. Funny in the film but when you realise that American's don't make anything anymore and the USA's biggest export is rubbish to China you don't have to stretch your mind too far to believe it could happen seeing the US is indebted to China by a huge amount of money.
There are plenty of financial commentators who believe the USA is in the process of getting the country ready for Chinese style working and living conditions and they might not be so far fetched. The police state is already implemented and any recovery in the economy is going to be service based just like Thatchers transformation of the UK in the 80's and we now all live in an economy that can always be bettered by a country willing to work for less. A country dependent on crooks and banksters to pay the bills is in an even worse position i.e City of London & the UK.
6. Sexual shenanigans by the politician that is instantly spun into a "positive" and then forgiven by the public due to the politician being a "real gun weilding man". There was even a poster of Will Ferrell with his arm around a picture of Jesus on a massive billboard holding a gun.
7. The threats by the billionaire brothers to drop millions of dollars of negative advertising into the distinct labeling the opponent as a Marxist and Commie just because he owned a couple of Chinese dogs! It reminded me of that attack advert on Mitt Romney where he was criticised for speaking French!
8. The smile-less, Karl Rove like character that managed the campaign from the background. Spinning bad news into good and pulling strings in the background. Don't all political campaigns have shadowy figures or people that "make things happen" and "clean up" after their candidates nowadays?
9. The Dick Cheney like incident in which one politician shot the other after he slept with his wife on a hunt and actually received a bump in the polls for doing so.
10. The electronic voting machines that were owned by the brothers company and insinuated that the vote had been fixed "their way" because of hacking. Computer hacking that has been proven again and again by the hacking of Diebold voting machines used in swing states like Ohio in recent elections.
Oh there were so many satirical comparisons that could be made you could go on forever but I would suggest to anyone that it is a good excuse to watch a funny film and just count those comparisons for yourself.
As they say Satire is often the truest way of seeing the idiocy of politics and politicians.