The countdown to the US veto on Israeli actions in Gaza starts nowBy Dark Politricks
I am guessing here, but as Israel launches another war on the blockaded Gaza I expect they thought they would have a different President in office.
Someone who Bibi got on a bit better with than Obama and someone who had probably already given him the green light to go ahead with Operation Pillar of Defense as soon as he won the Presidency. This is the brilliant name they are calling their new onslaught on the cornered in population of Gaza, Operation Cast Lead 2 - the Sequel.
Maybe Obama gave him the same promise as well, I don't know. The final televised debate was definitely a blatant attempt by the two candidates to show Israel who loved them the most and history shows that it doesn't matter who sits in the Oval Office they will always allow Israel to bomb, assassinate and kill their neighbours as they see fit.
If anyone is holding any hope that President Obama has any balls whatsoever to stand up to the Israeli lobby now that he doesn't have to worry about their campaign financing for another election they will surely be disappointed. There is little difference in the Democratic or Republican party when it comes to areas of hypocrisy and warmongering.
However as I watched the news coverage last night something stuck in my mind that one of the presenters said.
As Israel killed 2 kids and called it "collateral damage" on the way to blowing up the chief military commander of Hamas, Ahmed Jabari, someone said - imagine if it was the other way round.
The USA wanted the Palestinians to have a democratic election and they did. They just didn't like the outcome of it - democracy our way or none at all is their mantra.
However Hamas was democratically elected and it is a political party.
If Palestine is to become a proper nation, with borders then it is to have a police force as well as some form of defensive force.
Therefore it's leaders, however much you might despise them, are leaders of their "country" and rulers of their government in the same way as Benjamin Netanyahu and Ehud Barak are leaders of Israel, Obama and Hilary are of the USA and David Cameron and Nick Clegg are in the UK.
However even though the Israeli Defence Force was born out of the early terrorist gangs that killed hundreds of British soldiers and Palestinians in their "fight for freedom" by assassinating soldiers and blowing up buildings such as the King David Hotel it seems as if it's one rule for the Israeli's and one for the Palestinians.
Therefore when Ahmed Jabari, the military head of Hamas was killed yesterday, he was the direct equivalent of the Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak.
We all know that it's a fine line between "freedom fighter" and "terrorist" as this article makes clear, but just imagine if Hamas had killed Ehud Barak in the same way Israel had killed Ahmed Jabari yesterday.
How many Palestinians in Gaza would be left to tell the tale? I doubt very many.
Maybe it's actions like this new onslaught against Gaza that led to a study that was commissioned by the US Intelligence Community into continued US support of illegal Israeli actions. This report comprised of 16 American intelligence agencies including:
The Departments of the Navy, Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Defense Intelligence Agency, Departments of Energy, Homeland Security, State, Treasure, Drug Enforcement Agency, Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Security Agency, National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, National Reconnaissance Agency and the Central Intelligence Agency.
This 82 page study was called “Preparing For A Post Israel Middle East”, and concluded that the American national interest was fundamentally at odds with that of Zionist Israel as it prevented normal US relations with Middle Eastern countries and the rest of the world. It's main conclusions were:
- Israel, given its current brutal occupation and belligerence cannot be salvaged any more than apartheid south Africa could be when as late as 1987 Israel was the only “Western” nation that upheld diplomatic ties with South Africa and was the last country to join the international boycott campaign before the regime collapsed;
- The Israel leadership, with its increasing support of the 700,000 settlers in illegal colonies in the occupied West Bank is increasing out of touch with the political, military and economic realities of the Middle East;
- The post Labor government Likud coalition is deeply complicit with and influenced by the settlers’ political and financial power and will increasingly face domestic civil strife which the US government should not associate itself with or become involved with;
- The Arab Spring and Islamic Awakening has to a major degree freed a large majority of the 1.2 billion Arab and Muslims to pursue what an overwhelming majority believe is the illegitimate, immoral and unsustainable European occupation of Palestine of the indigenous population;
- Simultaneous with, but pre-dating rapidly expanding Arab and Muslim power in the region as evidenced by the Arab spring, Islamic Awakening and the ascendancy of Iran, as American power and influence recedes, the US commitment to belligerent oppressive Israel is becoming impossible to defend or execute consistent given paramount US national interests which include normalizing relations with the 57 Islamic countries;
- Gross Israeli interference in the internal affairs of the United States through spying and illegal US arms transfers. This includes supporting more than 60 ‘front organizations’ and approximately 7,500 US officials who do Israel’s bidding and seek to dominate and intimidate the media and agencies of the US government which should no longer be condoned;
- That the United States government no longer has the financial resources, or public support to continue funding Israel. The billions of dollars in direct and indirect aid from US taxpayers to Israel since 1967 is not affordable and is increasingly being objected to by US taxpayers who oppose continuing American military involvement in the Middle East. US public opinion no longer supports funding and executing widely perceived illegal US wars on Israel’s behalf. This view is increasingly being shared by Europe, Asia and the International public;
- Israel’s segregationist occupation infrastructure evidenced by legalized discrimination and increasingly separate and unequal justice systems must no longer be directly or indirectly funded by the US taxpayers or ignored by the US government;
- Israel has failed as a claimed democratic state and continued American financial and political cover will not change its continuing devolution as international pariah state;
- Increasingly, rampant and violent racism exhibited among Jewish settlers in the West Bank is being condoned by the Israeli government to a degree that the Israel government has become its protector and partner;
- The expanding chasm among American Jews objecting to Zionism and Israeli practices, including the killing and brutalizing of Palestinians under Israeli occupation, are gross violations of American and International law and raise questions within the US Jewish community regarding the American responsibility to protect (R2P) innocent civilians under occupation;
- The international opposition to the increasingly apartheid regime can no longer be synchronized with American claimed humanitarian values or US expectations in its bi-lateral relations with the 193 member United Nations;
- The Draft ends with language about the need to avoid entangling alliances that alienate much of the World and condemn American citizens to endure the consequences.
I wonder whether the actions of the Israeli government in Gaza yesterday and over the next days (and maybe even weeks) will have any effect on the authors of this study and US actions towards Israel.
It is certainly clear that certain parts of the US Defence Apparatus don't like Israel's unilateral actions in the Middle East so I wonder whether Operation Pillar of Defense will actually change President Obama's governments actions towards Israel in any way. Or more likely will he continue to slavishly bend over and let the Israeli's get away with another war on a civilian population with nowhere to run to for refuge as Israel breaks international law once again.
The countdown to the US veto on Israeli actions in Gaza starts now.